Location: Canberra, ACT, AU
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
- Grow your career in cotton plant transformation and tissue culture to target plant insect pests
- Work with a collaborative research team that promotes a flexible work environment
- Join Australia’s National Science and Innovation Agency
Many of CSIRO's innovations were once considered impossible. Fast WiFi, Aerogard insect repellent and the plastic Australian banknote, to name a few. Until someone, just like you, joined us and took on the challenge. We’re recruiting inventors, innovators and change makers. Join Team CSIRO and help make the impossible possible.
CSIRO Agriculture and Food’s Systems research program is a world-leading research group examining options to improve the productivity and sustainability of agriculture in Australia and across the globe. The Future Farm Enterprises team in Toowoomba seeks a self-motivated individual to support its field-based research activities.
In this role as a Research Project Officer, you will be responsible for undertaking plant transformation and tissue culture activities using different RNAi constructs to target plant insect pests. The activities will involve construct design and development, cotton plant transformation and tissue culture along with N. benthamiana leaf infiltration assays and tobacco plant transformation. You will use molecular biology techniques to verify construct design and transformation events within plants.
Your duties will include:
- Undertake plant transformation and tissue culture activities to develop GM plant lines.
- Conduct transient leaf expression assays in Nicotiana benthamiana.
- Take care of plant populations in the glasshouse/growth cabinets, including sowing, transplanting, sampling, and molecular characterization.
- Assist in timely planning of experiments, participate in project meetings and work closely with other team members.
- Under limited supervision, design and perform straightforward experiments and routine laboratory analyses.
- May have responsibility to maintain laboratory or fieldwork consumables and schedule and instruct staff in the use of shared equipment.
- Respond courteously and efficiently to client requests, maintain clear communication regarding mutual expectations and monitor client satisfaction.
Location: Black Mountain, Canberra ACT
Salary: AU$68k - AU$86k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term up to 31 Dec. 2026 / Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant trade certificate/diploma/bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in biological science.
- Experience in plant transformation and tissue culture.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of molecular biology reagents and conducting molecular assays such as PCR assays.
- Excellent organizational and record keeping skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to a high level of personal performance and a track record of following good Health and Safety practices at work.
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible in assigned tasks as work priorities change or in response to externally imposed commercial deadlines and to self-manage allocation of time to tasks.
- A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or Australian Temporary Residents with full working rightly without any kind of visa sponsorship support from CSIRO till 31 December 2026. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
03 March 2024, 11:00pm AEDT