Location: Melbourne, VIC, AU
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
As the successful applicant you can expect to work with the existing robot navigation stack, including path planning, obstacle avoidance and navigation behaviours for ground-based robots, software for supporting robot and human simulation of human-robot teaming simulations, software for supporting multi-modal human-robot interfaces, and software for supporting data collection and analysis during human-robot teaming experiments. You will work closely with robotics researchers and other engineers to develop, evaluate and improve the software systems supporting human-robot teaming, which will involve:
- analysis and development of software requirements for human-robot teaming experiments, both in simulation and in hardware
- proposing algorithms and techniques to address the requirements
- implementing the algorithms in C++ and/or Python
- integrating the novel solutions into the existing robot software stack
- testing and refining the solutions in robotic simulations
- deploying the solutions in hardware and pilot experiments
- testing and refining the solution on robots of different configurations
- supporting experiments, data collection and data analysis
Your duties will include:
- Under general direction, contribute to research and/or technology through the development of original and adapted experimental methods, equipment or software.
- Undertake a wide variety of tasks or tasks with a high degree of specialisation.
- Show initiative to seek new approaches to meet experimental or technological needs when encountering new problems where methods are not defined.
- Participate in the identification and definition of research and/or technological problems with colleagues.
- Liaise with clients to determine their needs and take personal responsibility for their satisfaction.
- Address problems promptly and in a constructive manner.
- Participate in planning projects and accept responsibility for scheduling and completion of major parts of the project, including evaluation of options, experimental design, data collection and analysis, user and customer research, user experience and/or software design, implementation and delivery,
- Make significant contributions to the interpretation and communication of research or technological results and may collaborate on drafting presentations to, and/or detailed written reports for, clients and the scientific and/or technology community.
Location: Clayton, Victoria
Salary: AU$89,680- AU$101,459 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite/Specified term of x years/Casual
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in an appropriate field of Engineering
- Experience in C++ and Python software development in a Linux environment
- Experience and/or knowledge of Robotics software frameworks, especially ROS
- Experience and/or knowledge of Robotics simulation environments
- Experience in software deployment to support of operation and testing of robot systems
- Some experience in continuous integration
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
19th February 2024, 11:00pm AEST