Location: Melbourne, VIC, AU
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
- Excellent opportunity to drive innovation in fire engineering while contributing to Australia's infrastructure development and sustainability.
- A role with variety, from client and government consulting, involvement in laboratory fire tests to contributing to the developing of standards.
- Be an expert voice in fire safety design, ensuring compliance and delivering innovative performance solutions.
We are actively seeking an accomplished Senior Fire Engineer to join our dynamic team in Melbourne.
This role presents a unique opportunity to contribute to fire engineering solutions for a range of high-profile projects.
As a senior member, you'll be at the forefront of driving fire safety design, ensuring compliance with codes and standards, and delivering innovative performance solutions.
This role goes beyond traditional fire engineering by involving collaboration with Australia's leading research institution, participation in full-scale fire testing.
Fire safety consulting including specialist areas such as rail infrastructure, combustible façade risk assessments, and tunnel infrastructure projects.
A chance to design and conduct ad-hoc fire tests, involvement in hot smoke testing in major tunnel infrastructure, publish academic papers and active contributions to Australian standards.
With over 75 years of experience, Infrastructure Technologies specializes in testing, research, and consulting services for the building and infrastructure sector. Our NATA-accredited laboratory hosts a diverse array of fire, safety, acoustic, vibration, and materials tests. We boast specialized, purpose-built testing equipment and facilities, ensuring precise and timely results that empower our clients' innovations and strategies. Our work extends to consulting with clients and government bodies, as well as contributing to the development of industry standards.
We are dedicated to offering consulting and testing services aligned with the framework outlined in National Legislation and National Construction Code (NCC), spanning sectors including building construction, rail, transport, defense, space, and infrastructure.
If successful in your application you will surrounded by great people, great culture at a world class research facility. Further to that you'll be treated with respect and be based at a campus with onsite gym, café, free parking, near parks and public transport. CSIRO has generous terms and conditions for leave and more. Our staff initially applied for a role but stayed for the team culture.
Your duties will include:
- Leading fire safety engineering design and consulting projects from inception to completion, ensuring alignment with project requirements, codes, and standards.
- Developing comprehensive fire safety strategies, performance designs, and inventive solutions.
- Effectively managing and executing projects, addressing design complexities and technical risks and managing clients and stakeholders.
- Creating reports and performing calculations to support design concepts.
- Fostering strong professional relationships with team members and key stakeholders (internal and external).
- Key areas of fire safety consulting will include building construction, facade fire safety, public transport and rollingstock fire safety, tunnel hot smoke testing and materials flammability performance.
Location: Clayton, Victoria
Salary: AU$105,806- AU$114,500 per annum plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Attainment of tertiary qualifications in relevant Engineering or Science fields, specializing in Fire Safety Engineering, fire protection engineering, or related disciplines.
- Either current Victorian Registration as Building Practitioner – Fire safety engineering or the current level of education and experience pre-requisite to attaining registration.
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in fire engineering or a related consulting, research or testing discipline, preferably within a consulting environment.
- Proficiency in basic office software tools and some level of experience with computer modelling.
- Strong communication, presentation, and report writing skills, complemented by adept problem-solving abilities through teamwork, stakeholder engagement, and client interactions.
- Demonstrated initiative, accountability, and adeptness in managing multiple projects while adhering to commercial deadlines and income targets.
- Proficient in producing comprehensive technical reports.
- Graduate Diploma, Masters or PhD in Fire Safety Engineering, Fire Protection engineering or similar (desirable).
- Thorough understanding of Australian building codes, fire safety regulations, and standards.
- Proven experience in performance-based fire safety design for buildings or infrastructure.
- Proficiency in fire safety software and design tools.
- Expertise in façade fire safety for existing buildings.
- Expertise and experience in fire safety regulations and consulting for rail and passenger train infrastructure.
- Institute of Engineers Australia Chartered Engineering status.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs, whether we are undertaking research, engaging with the public or nurturing future scientists in person or online. Source – CSIRO Child Safe policy 2023
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
10th March 2024, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT