Location: Newcastle, NSW, AU
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
- Be a key member of the Solar Technologies Group within CSIRO Energy
- Contribute to the development of solar energy technologies
- Create a dynamic career path in this permanent, full time role
CSIRO’s Energy Business Unit is seeking an experienced Software Engineer to join the Solar Technologies team, based in Newcastle.
As the Software Engineer, you will contribute to the development of solar energy technologies specifically for utility scale photovoltaics. You will work within a multidisciplinary team to develop ground-breaking technology. Projects may include developing technoeconomic simulations of GW sized solar installations, development of autonomous maintenance robotics, and fault finding diagnostic tools.
Applications to this position are invited across two competency levels, the appointment level will be determined by the qualifications, skills and relevant experience of the successful candidate.
Your duties will include:
- Contributing to the development of new solar energy technologies, with a focus on utility scale photovoltaics through the design, prototyping, and implementation of software for use in and automated, components and systems.
- Developing software for automated mechanical systems across a range of Utility Scale Photovoltaic technologies with the aim of reducing costs of deployment and operation.
- Demonstrating developed solar technologies in the field in collaboration with commercial partners
- Initiating and maintain collaborative relationships with external researchers and experts, manage contracts and transfer technology to industry.
- Participating in project scoping and planning, making significant contributions to the research or technological direction, and may advise on the level and type of services that are provided.
- Other duties as directed.
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Salary: AU$89k - $114k + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Software Engineering, Mechatronics or Electrical Engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- Advanced skills in developing software for prototypes or virtual simulations.
- Advanced skills in software across a range of environments including Python, C++, SQL, embedded, PLC, and machine vision systems.
- Skills in project and/or team leadership along with ability to manage project resources
- A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment.
- Experience in software development for renewable energy application.
- Experience in Photovoltaics
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, and Australian Permanent Residents only. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
07 January 2024, 11:00pm AEDT