Location: Brisbane, QLD, AU
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
- Join a collaborative & high performing team!
- Contribute high level expertise & understanding for a broad range of IP issues
- Support commercialisation strategies to achieve revenue targets at CSIRO!
As Intellectual Property (IP) Manager for Energy Business Unit - CSIRO you will contribute to the effective delivery of IP services by providing advice to senior managers and scientists.
Your sound knowledge and experience as a Registered Patent Attorney (AU or NZ) or near qualified, will be necessary as you contribute a high-level knowledge and advice on a broad range of IP issues and complex business problems, including patents, copyright, designs and trademarks to relevant stakeholders. As a personable professional you will engage with Research Program Leaders and technical staff in identifying, developing, protecting and managing IP assets.
This rewarding opportunity will require you to proactively participate in deal teams in supporting commercialisation strategies to achieve revenue targets by contributing IP expertise and strategic advice.
You will report into an exciting and high performing team, which sits within the Future Industries Group, CSIRO Investment Business Unit.
Your duties will include:
- Working within the Investment team, building and exploiting IP assets.
- Providing proactive specialist IP advice and support to internal stakeholders.
- Managing IP for the Energy sector, working with external attorneys and internal stakeholders to ensure decisions are made and deadlines are met in the filing and prosecution of registrable IP.
- Providing advice on patentability, freedom to operate, infringement & validity and contributing to the development of IP strategies.
- Contributing to the implementation of IP policies and procedures.
- Assisting with IP litigation and dispute resolution.
- Actively managing relationships with external clients, stakeholders and service providers, including external legal counsel and patent attorneys.
- Driving IP internal education initiatives across the organisation and contributing to the professional development and expertise of IP and cross-functional teams.
Location: CSIRO Sites in Victoria, Brisbane and Newcastle will be considered. A hybrid working environment is available.
Salary: AU $121,455 to AU $142,321 pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Registered Patent Attorney (AU or NZ), or near qualified patent attorney with a sound understanding of Patent Law and Practise, Validity & Infringement, Trademark Law and Practise.
- A degree in chemistry or chemical engineering.
- Demonstrated achievement in advisory or managerial roles in relation to capture and exploitation of registered IP.
- Ability to work independently, providing pragmatic solutions in managing and exploiting intellectual property.
- A strong history of establishing and working effectively in teams, building trust and providing IP advice during commercial transactions.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to foster and develop strong relationships in cross functional teams and with external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to generate improved solutions to complex problems and resolve complaints using creativity, reasoning and experience.
- Previous experience in an in-house IP management role and experience advising on technology transactions and collaborations between government departments and agencies, universities and other research organisations will be highly desirable.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs, whether we are undertaking research, engaging with the public or nurturing future scientists in person or online. Source – CSIRO Child Safe policy 2023
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
11 December 2023, 11:00pm AEDT